FS International provides services and expertise throughout the rail infrastructure sector, focusing on maximization of the availability and reliability of the network and assets through a whole life cycle approach (capital + operating costs), aiming at strengthening safety and efficiency according to RAMS (Reliability, Availability, Maintainability, Safety) philosophy and procedures. The broad experience is based on the longstanding FS Group’s companies history, specialized in the management of infrastructures, buildings, stations and depots.
Specific know how has been acquired on design, construction, commissioning, management and maintenance of the conventional and high speed/high capacity railway network including passenger stations, freight modal and intermodal sites.
An area of particular excellence regards traffic management of various operators on the same network, guaranteeing fair and not discriminatory access to the railway undertakings: the Italian high speed network has been the first in the world to be managed in open competition (2012).
The best standards are applied also in the maintenance of railway infrastructure ensuring safe circulation, investments optimization for network extension and upgrading as well as installation, development and operation of control and safety systems connected to the circulation of trains.
In more details, FS International offers the following innovative solutions:
- Project and design preparation, based on BIM (Building Information Modeling), through 3D (design), 4D (timing), 5D (cost analysis and economic impact assessment), 6D (maintenance) and 7D (sustainability evaluation) dimensions.
- Analysis of infrastructure resilience: active and passive technical solutions to increase the level of resilience of the infrastructure to the impacts of climate change.
- Assessment of railway projects sustainability through the EnvisionTM internationally recognized sustainability rating tool.
- Safety analysis and diagnosis of railway structures: instrumental surveys and use of innovative technologies (drones, monitoring systems, sensors, etc.) and of a Bridge Management System (BMS) tool to support the evaluation on the structure’s health and to plan maintenance and inspections based on structural, operational and economic factors (predictive maintenance techniques are among the methodologies applied for buildings/viaducts checks).
- Drafting of design standards and carrying out of approval processes for the use of infrastructure products, standards, components and materials of railway superstructure and technological components, consistent with international industry technical standards.
- Socio-economic analysis and regional studies to assess and quantify the effects of the infrastructure upgrade, the increase in the added value of the areas crossed, the repopulation and the new possible entrepreneurial initiatives that the renewed infrastructure can stimulate.